Wednesday, August 4, 2010

iPhoDroid: My Adventure



A couple weeks ago, I heard about the iPhoDroid project. At the prospect of dual-booting my iPhone with iOS and Android, my palms got sweaty and my knees got weak. It felt like the room was spinning and my tongue got numb.

So I decided to give it a shot.

I read up about the project and the prerequisites, and got everything I needed to get this accomplished. One of the requirements was that the iPhone had to be jailbroken (check!) not by Spirit (DOH!)*. So I went through the process of restoring my iPhone to 3.1.2 and then jailbreaking with Pwnage Tool (my favorite anyway).

 *In a moment of sheer curiosity a while back, I jailbroke with Spirit...it was so easy, it made me wonder why people would go through any OTHER methods of jailbreaking. 



After that, I downloaded iPhoDroid 0.6 beta R12d (for3G) to my MacBook and followed the instructions. Very easy. One thing that threw me off is that during the install process, there is no touchscreen, so I had to press the power button to scroll and the home button to select.



While installing, it appeared to freeze at a point. I looked up the last message where the install stopped (can't recall it right now, sorry), and the forum just said to run the install again. After that, it worked!



Once Froyo was installed, I actually hugged my phone close to me because I was so excited. People around might have given me weird looks, I dunno, but whatever - I was happy. That happiness tinted a little bit when I realized touch screen still didn't work....and it crashed, but I was still elated at the fact that Android was indeed running on my iPhone.
And now I even had a problem to solve! YES!

So I found the issue and followed the instructions. I verified the SHA-1 hash on the download. That checked out fine. I reinstalled Open iBoot and the Froyo distro, this time watching the output carefully. There were no errors. But while the OS was loading, I mistakenly rebooted....and bricked my iPhone. However, I didn't panic. I found this.

So now, back at square one. I restored, and re-jailbroke. This time, with redsn0w. Went through the same process...AND IT WORKS!!!!


1 comment: