Wednesday, September 26, 2012

AppleScript to create Address Book Entries

For work, I created a test for MAP-enabled devices. Being that iPhone now supports MAP, I figured a good test would be to create a huge contacts list on the iPhone, then pair the device to the unit under test and see how it responds. I (obviously) did not want to have to manually create hundreds or thousands of contacts, so I looked into using Automator or AppleScript.


To save myself some time, and perhaps get a head start, I posted a question on Ask Different, and got a really helpful response. The code posted there pretty much completely solved my problem, and gave me an excellent introduction to AppleScript.

For those interested, here's a snippet from Wikipedia about MAP:
Message Access Profile (MAP)Message Access Profile (MAP)[4] specification allows exchange of messages between devices. Mostly used for automotive handsfree use. The MAP profile can also be used for other uses that require the exchange of messages between two devices. The automotive Hands-Free use case is where an on-board terminal device (typically an electronic device as a Car-Kit installed in the car) can talk via messaging capability to another communication device (typically a mobile phone)...Apple introduced Bluetooth MAP in iOS 6 for the iPhone and iPad.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any official Apple documentation on MAP in iOS 6, but I'm still looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment