Tuesday, January 15, 2013

iOS (POSIX) Security

I've long been interested in learning more about jailbreaking/ device security. The problem is, I did not know where to start. The topic requires so much knowledge about other fields, that it's kinda impossible to just jump right into finding exploits. In my quest for info, I learned lots about Unix, POSIX, and Apple's implementation into their iOS (and Mac) devices.

Recently, I found the iOS Hacker's Handbook. This is the book I've needed all this time. It's perfect for the stage I am in my learning. It goes through building custom ramdisk images for iOS 5, using scripts and tools (redsn0w) that have already been developed and tested. By not reinventing the wheel, so to speak, I can incrementally increase my understanding of the subject without being inundated with technical jargon beyond my comprehension lol.

There are some scripts that don't work as presented in the book, so I opened them in TextEdit and examined them, making changes when necessary to fit my particular situation. This has made me much more comfortable with Unix shell scripting, as well as served as served as a great introduction to python for me. Hope DevTeam has room for me!

Now to think of a clever hacker pseudonym...th0mas probably isn't gonna cut it, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment