Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Keep the pinout handy

A small lesson I learned [the hard way] today lol. When creating a cable or connector with multiple connections, it's always a good idea to keep the pinout nearby. Today I was making a couple DB9 to banana jack cables for connecting my CANCaseXL to a test bench. I only use 3 connections used on the DB9, and I broke each one out to a different color banana jack:



Pin 2 - CANL - Green
Pin 3 - GND   - Black
Pin 7 - CANH - Yellow

Seems so simple, right? Should be, smh. After I soldered, heat-shrunk, and screwed everything together, I plugged everything in aaaaand....error frames galore. I had mixed up a couple of the pins.

At some point during this [seemingly simple] assembly, I lost focus and soldered the wrong pin to the wrong wire. From now on, I'll just make sure to keep the pinout somewhere I can see it at all times, until the project is done lol.

I fixed it, and it works perfectly now. And looks pretty damn good too actually :-p

No comments:

Post a Comment