Friday, September 7, 2012

Linux From Scratch - Build Environment

Recently, the homie Mike put me up on the Linux From Scratch project. I have always wanted to compile Linux, and eventually want to create my own Android-based device. Even if it's just for my desk at home, it's a goal of mine to one day build a multimedia computer where I design EVERYTHING - hardware and software.



Linux From Scratch gave me all the details and told me where to find all the tools I needed to get started. For my build environment, I'm going to use my MacBook, with a VirtualBox instance of Ubuntu running. I prefer using a VM to dual-booting because I'd rather not mess around with the EFI...and NO I'm not scared!...just don't wanna experiment on my onliest MacBook lol.

Below is a little doodle I did of my build environment.



In addition to the Ubuntu VM, I created another virtual disk and partitioned it according to the recommendations in the LFS book. I have begun downloading sources, and will start to build soon! I'll keep progress posted!

1 comment:

  1. GOOD STUFF! lemme know your progress, I am interested. Mine has come to a halt for now due to other projects (life of an engineer, right?)

    ReplyDelete